AAAC Outstanding PhD Dissertation Award 2020
We welcome submissions to the AAAC Outstanding Dissertation Award, which will recognize the most outstanding research contributions from recently graduated PhD students within the Affective Computing community. The winner will be awarded a cash prize of $500.
- Eligible dissertations must have been successfully completed between 1 October 2019 and 30 September 2020. An award date that is appropriate to the student’s institution is acceptable, for example graduation date, examination date, or final thesis acceptance date.
- Candidates will only be eligible to apply once for this award.
- At the time of application, the candidate must be an AAAC member.
- Only dissertations written in English will be considered. If a dissertation was written in another language, please submit an English translation.
- Each nominated dissertation must be on a topic relevant to Affective Computing. The determination of whether a dissertation is within scope for the award will be made by the AAAC Best PhD Dissertation Award Committee.
Preparing and Submitting
PDF format is preferred for textual materials. Supplementary materials must be multi-platform. Submit by emailing content no larger than 25MB as attachments or by links to hosted documents to: Marwa Mahmoud <firstname.lastname@example.org> and Sidney D’Mello <email@example.com>.
The deadline for submission is 31 October 2020.
Submissions for the award must include:
- A published paper that is representative of the dissertation.
- The dissertation.
- Statement from the PhD advisor confirming eligibility as well as addressing why the nominee’s dissertation should receive this award (max 1 page). The statement should address the contribution of the dissertation, not simply repeat the information in the abstract.
Award Review Process
Each submission will be preliminary reviewed by the AAAC Best PhD Dissertation Award Committee. Short-listed submissions will be sent to a panel of experts selected by the AAAC Executive Committee to evaluate the quality, contribution, and impact as demonstrated by the submitted thesis and supplementary materials. The winner will be announced by May 2021.
The Committee will be experts chosen based on the short list of dissertations resulting from the preliminary review.
Please send questions to Marwa Mahmoud <firstname.lastname@example.org> and Sidney D’Mello <email@example.com>